Monday, October 26, 2015

Cranky the Crane

If you have kids, you probably know about the Island of Sodor, with Thomas the Tank Engine and all the associated characters.  My older son decided he just had to be 'Cranky the Crane'.  This put me into a funk for a while, as I gave thought to how I would pull it off.  I think I succeeded in the end.

Construction of the costume was almost entirely cardboard, hot glued into shape and spray painted gray.  IIRC, the black areas were just sharpie marker.  At the base of the crane, I left the four sides unattached so that his legs would have some freedom to move, which was partially successful.  The bucket was simply hung from some string.
All of the pictures I have of this one came from the parade his elementary school held that year, starting in the classroom after getting dressed up.  The fact that he actually managed to walk all the way around the schoolyard means the thing basically worked.


Clearly he was in a very happy place wearing this, and enjoyed putting on a show for everyone.  The reactions to his costume were very positive, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, whether they be praise or suggestions to improve. I'm no professional and when it comes right down to brass tacks I do not really know what I'm doing here!