Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Annoying Orange

"The Annoying Orange" is a YouTube series and for a little while it was on television, too.  It tells the story of the adventures of Orange and his fruity friends, all of whom he manages to annoy on a regular basis.

My son just had to be this character.





Now, there's a fundamental problem with this.  The boy is shaped more like a string bean than an orange.  And if I WERE to get him into that rounded a shape, he wouldn't fit through doorways.  In addition, Orange's face takes up his whole body as seen here:

Yes, this is one ugly customer
So I thought to myself that perhaps we'd be better off just painting the kid's face orange and letting it go at that.  Of course, that would leave the rest of his body to deal with, and who would guess what he was anyway?

But then it hit me:  Since this character is best known from YouTube, why not take advantage of that?  We made his costume not so much the Orange itself, but the entire web page!

I downloaded the HTML source for an actual Annoying Orange video and got to work on it.  I'm a techie by nature, and modifying the page a bit was not too difficult.  Actually, the hardest part was coming up with amusing responses and names for the posters.  Then I loaded the modified page in my browser, took a screen shot and printed off a greatly enlarged copy of it.  I glued the many sheets of paper thus generated to a piece of foam core.

I also took enlarged pictures of a few of the other characters in the show.  Passion Fruit, Pear and Mini Apple.  These were also printed and mounted on foam core, and I attached these to bamboo skewers to hold them in place.

To top it off, we replaced the video thumbnails and descriptions on the right side of the page with costumes from previous years.  Each one has the 'run time' of the video shown as the year.  It was a lot of fun to reminisce during the process of coming up with these.

Of course, in order to 'wear' the costume, some straps were needed, but a couple of old belts hot glued to the back of the foam core did a pretty decent job of this.

Finally, we got back to 'paint his face', but now anyone who is the least bit familiar with the character in question knows exactly what's going on!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, whether they be praise or suggestions to improve. I'm no professional and when it comes right down to brass tacks I do not really know what I'm doing here!