Saturday, October 24, 2015

Goku

This one turned into a contest winner at my son's high school.

Like many kids (and me!), my boys are big fans of Dragonball Z.  So for 2014, they both decided to be characters from the show.  My older guy, naturally enough, decided to be the star of the show, Goku.







It took a bit of wracking my brain, because I'm not all that hot at sewing and this is all cloth.  Eventually though, I hit upon the idea of using hospital scrubs, which are baggy on a thin child and available in the color I needed.

Making the costume itself was not too difficult.  I took a blue shirt and cut it up a bit to get a belt and sleeves.  I cut down the shirt from the scrubs and hemmed them to make it look more like Goku's top.  The hardest part was probably the symbols on the chest and back, but I have a secret weapon:  A wife who feels guilty about me doing most of the work.  I think she did an excellent job on them, inking on white fabric which I then stitched into place.

Here's how it all turned out:























This one was a winner all around.  Easy to make, easy to move around in, and it took first place in his high school costume contest, which is a real coup for a freshman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, whether they be praise or suggestions to improve. I'm no professional and when it comes right down to brass tacks I do not really know what I'm doing here!