Monday, February 16, 2015

Introductions and Stuff

Every year in October, I spend a frantic couple of weeks just before Halloween, working on costumes for my kids.  Sometimes they're easy, sometimes they're very difficult.  Once in a while they're incredibly impractical.  Nonetheless I think they've tended to turn out pretty well, and people enjoy them.

I never tell the kids what I'm going to make for them, at least since they've been old enough to have an opinion on the matter.  Rather, I ask them what they want to be and do my best to come up with that.  We have worked with various materials, starting off with craft foam and hot glue.  We've used cardboard quite a bit, I took a diversion into whiteboard, and in recent years I've acquired a decent sewing machine and learned enough to make things out of cloth.

My wife and I also enjoy Renaissance festivals and such, and in fact our wedding had such a theme.  We keep telling each other we're going to make costumes for that, too, and maybe this blog will be enough impetus for us to actually do it.

I'm going to document some of what we've done over the years, and going forward I intend to capture more of the process rather than just the end results.  I hope you enjoy it.  For that matter, I hope I enjoy it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, whether they be praise or suggestions to improve. I'm no professional and when it comes right down to brass tacks I do not really know what I'm doing here!