Saturday, October 1, 2016

Ness


This is 'Shulk', a character from a video game that my older son just insisted he had to be:

I am SOOOOO glad we managed to cajole him into something achievable.  Say hello to 'Ness':

This one should be no big problem.  Red shoes?  Check.  White socks?  Check.  Backpack?  Got it.  Red hat?  Yup, although we have to do something about the bill.  Blue denim shorts?  Easy.  Blue and yellow shirt?  Uh, surprisingly difficult to locate, so I have to make one.  Well, the sewing machine is out so I guess it's gonna get used.

After a little bit of thought, I decided that my best bet was to take a yellow shirt and a blue shirt, and cut one of them into stripes to be sewn over the other.  For the most part this means we wound up with rings that could be slid over, pinned in place and stitched:

The overall effect should be pretty good

Detail of the lowest ring pinned into place

I figured it was best to pin and sew one ring at a time, working up from the bottom.  This gave me a well-defined hem on both pieces to line up, and I need all the help I can get keeping things straight.




So far, so good.  Let's try a couple more stripes:

Yeah, I kinda like that.

So we wrapped up the stripes, for now, although I am considering some partial ones at the tops of the sleeves.

My wife did the hat, and the boy made that button he's wearing, along with the bat, yoyo and food that don't show in the picture.  Here' the overall effect:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, whether they be praise or suggestions to improve. I'm no professional and when it comes right down to brass tacks I do not really know what I'm doing here!